Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Vacation at the beach; Continuing ramp-up

My wife, our three boys and I just returned from a trip to the beach for the 2nd time this summer. We've been really fortunate to have the ability to go down for a week or so, and we had a great time together as a family. We did some cool stuff together, swam alot, and had an all-around great time. I ended up only getting in two (or maybe three, I can't remember) runs in while in Florida, but it was nice to take a break. My body appreciated the recovery time, I know. I finished up last week with a whopping 25 miles. That's pretty weak for me, but like I said, I enjoyed the break.

Now that we're back home, I am back in the saddle with the ramp up to the North Face 50 miler in October. I ran a nice 15 miler in the wee hours of this morning, and that was actually a little more effort than I expected it to be. Having done a few 20 milers over the past 5 weeks, I didn't expect 15 to take much energy, but actually did. It's good though, because I had to work my way through the run, which is good practice.

Here's my training schedule for the rest of this week:

Tuesday: 6 miles (easy --> tempo)
Wednesday: 5 miles (recovery)
Thursday: 6 miles (hills)
Friday: Rest or 5 miles (easy)
Saturday: 14-16 miles (long)
Sunday: 5 miles (recovery)

I hope everyone's training is proceeding smoothly. It's hard to believe, but Summer is drawing to a close. I'm looking forward to those cooler days of Fall, but I know Winter is only around the corner from those cool days. I'm in NO hurry for dealing with the cold again.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with a little mental and physical break - you've certainly been racking up the miles.

    This week's plan looks pretty good, I'm sure you'll fly through those miles.

    Training is going pretty well here. Lots of miles on the plate for this week so just hoping I can manage them all :)!

    ReplyDelete