Saturday, April 2, 2011

Choosing a new shoe on April 2

I finally had to put the Nike LunarGlide 2's out to pasture, and I'm really happy that I did. Unlike my current "go-to" shoe for all things running, the LunarFly, the Glides just never really made much of an impression on me. I should have not bought them in the first place because they aren't a lightweight, neutral shoe. Instead, they're more of the stability line, so they're much heavier and far more bulky to be comfortable to me.

So, I was trying to decide on picking up another pair of LunarFly's, which I have had a tremendous amount of success with. My current trainer pair have over 500 miles on them, which is ridiculous, but they feel as good right now as they did 500 miles ago when I slipped them on. The only real signs of wearing is on the forefoot where I land, and it's a bit worn down in the tread. Other than that, the cushioning feels intact, but it surely has to be compromised by now.

The Brooks Ghost has a pretty loyal following in the running world, and I see alot of them at races. I tried them on in the store and they felt reasonably light and comfortable. One thing I did notice was that my standard size 11 felt too tight in them, so I had to go up a half-size. They feel great just wearing around the house, but I'm going to put them through the paces later this evening with an 8 miler or so. I don't know about you, but new shoes don't ever feel very good to me until I"ve got at least 150 miles on them (with the rare exception of the beloved Brooks Green Silence, which felt like butta' from Day 1)

I'll keep you posted on how the Ghost's hold up on the road. I do love me some new running shoes....

1 comment:

  1. I love new running shoes...although I agree that it takes a good number of miles before they are perfectly comfortable....I still like the cloud like feeling in the beginning of a new pair :)!

    ReplyDelete