Thursday, February 9, 2012

Iron Horse 100 is in sight...

The days are dwindling now and I am about 9 days away from my first goal race of 2012, the Iron Horse 100 Endurance Run. Words really can't convey just how stoked I am for this race. Here's a recap of the past 2 weeks.

Last week saw me run around 42 miles as I began to taper, sort of. As I have mentioned before, I don't typically adhere to a 3 week taper. Instead, I usually adopt a 2 week taper that helps me show up at the starting line in good shape. This cycle is no different. 

The biggest thing I've noticed in the 4 month build up for this race is just how much I've made myself slow down the pace. This has been something that had to happen, but it's such a change in how I run, I'm finding it bothersome.  Rather than maintaining a training pace of 8:12 per mile, I'm more along the line of 9:30 pace per mile. Prelims I said though, for 100k, I have to slow down my pace.

I have also successfully navigated this training cycle without injury. I did succumb to a case of bronchitis at 3 weeks pre-race,  but that's pretty typical for me. After training so hard for those peak mileage weeks, my immune system is just too compromised. All in all, I can't complain at all about how well I've held up, physically.

One thing that is also cool from the last couple of weeks is this; I actually won a Facebook contest about a week ago. The grand prize, you ask? A $250 Nathan Performance Lab gift package. Talk about suweeet!! I haven't received it yet, but I'm definitely excited to find out what's included in the package.

Next post will contain my drop bag plan and the various items I will be packing for the race. As this is an out and back X 4, this aspect should be a fairly easy layout.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the Nathan prize - amazing!

    Sounds like you've had a really good training cycle. Also seems like you're mentally and physically ready for this one.

    Can't wait to see just what can do do out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had bronchitis too. Hopefully you're fully recovered and sounds like you're ready for the big one. Looking forward to the race report.

    all the best in your event!

    Ashland Dave

    ReplyDelete