Thursday, May 19, 2011

Stocking up on piles o' miles, and what happened to Summer?

It isn't even the end of May yet, and my usual Summertime miles o' pallooza is kicking it into the next gear already. It's a ritual for me, and I just love this time of year, don't you?

Aside from the general awesomeness of the boys being out of school, there's baseball season, our family trips to the beach (epic adventures in their own right), and three months of unhindered, unhurried, unencumbered early morning running.(Insert evil scientist laughter here)

On the training front, I continue to be amazed at my fitness improvement in light of the fact that it is solely due to consistent, if not obsessive, running.  I am not within peak phase, but my easy/recovery pace range is now faster than my Disney marathon PR pace, and that astounds me. I haven't planned it that way, and I haven't done anything differently that can explain it, other than to just run

... a lot and often.

3 comments:

  1. I love this time of the year as well, the winter rust is slowly disappearing and the miles and speed are picking up

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing that your base is built up so well that you are seeing improvement every time you step out to run!

    Summer in AZ, not my favorite. The triple digit days are upon us and I don't love running in that heat. Thank goodness for treadmills and air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear what you're saying, Amanda. I absolutely love running in the middle of a hot day, but 100+ degrees is too hot for even me... wow.

    You're right about A/C and treadmills. . . hard to beat that combo!

    ReplyDelete